Cross platform URI schemes and notification area icons

Marty Jack martyj19 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 24 10:27:05 PDT 2011

On 07/24/2011 01:06 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On 24 Jul 2011, at 16:40, Marty Jack <martyj19 at comcast.net> wrote:
>> On 07/24/2011 09:49 AM, Keith Poole wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your response, however I was referring to registering it with the system, eg: application 'abc' starts and registers the scheme abc:// to run itself passing the URL as a parameter.
>>>
>>> Under Windows and Mac OS this is quite easy, but there are so many varieties of Linux and different desktop managers that I was hoping there might be some sort of cross-DM management tool, similar to, or as part of xdg-utils.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Keith
>>>
>>> On 24/07/2011, at 11:26 PM, Marty Jack <martyj19 at comcast.net> wrote:
>>>

>> Unix-like systems tend to use MIME type as the input key for deriving an application that will handle a particular format.  See xdg-mime and
>>
>> http://standards.freedesktop.org/shared-mime-info-spec/shared-mime-info-spec-latest.html
>>
>> There is no desktop independent registry for "scheme" such as you are describing.  There are GNOME and KDE and browser specific ways of configuring it.
>
> There is, and it's in the document you linked. See "URI scheme handlers".

So there is.  I had forgotten about that.

In any event I think Linux users would be happy configuring the scheme handler by themselves if needed, with the possible assistance of a release note.  It would certainly be unusual to try registering the handler every time the application starts.  This would be something you would do once when you install, or when you notice it is missing, and leave it set up.

But it's your application, and your users complaining if they see fit, so do whatever you think best.