XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP (was: Adding Unity to OnlyShowIn allowed values)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Mar 5 01:07:01 PST 2011

On Saturday, 2011-03-05, Ted Gould wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 18:37 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 10:25 -0600, Ted Gould wrote:
> > > I haven't seen any objection, just questions to this.  Final call?
> >
> > I have voiced my objection to the general idea of 'desktop switch'
> > behaviour changes, but that's more of a complaint against
> > XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP than against OnlyShowIn=Unity
>
> I'm unsure why you object.  It seem to be something that's generally
> useful for applications to know.  For instance if they wanted to have a
> configuration check box for "Show on Plasma Desktop" or "Show in
> Messaging Tray" or something like that.  They could make the strings
> more informative if the information was available.

I think Matthias' point is that in order to do exactly that you'll need to
look for the respective target functionality rather than assuming a one-to-one
mapping of some identifier to a specific configuration.

Basically all Free Software desktop workspaces consist of a setup of multiple
processes, sometimes one process per task (IIRC that's how XFCE does it),
sometimes two or more tasks combined into one process (e.g. GNOME Shell,
Plasma desktop).

One could argue to not care about non-default setups, e.g. using xfce-panel
with a Nautlius desktop in a KDE session, but what about official deviations,
e.g. GNOME 3 fallback on systems without 3D acceleration?

Cheers,
Kevin