Showing a file in the file manager

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Fri May 20 14:05:50 PDT 2011

On Fri, 20 May 2011 22:57:57 +0200
Stef Bon <stefbon at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/5/20 Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org>:
> > On Fri, 20 May 2011 22:30:21 +0200
> > Stef Bon <stefbon at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Isn't it required that for example dolphin is running to "recieve"
> >> the dbus signal
> >> for the opening the url?
> >
> > Not if it is activatable over D-Bus. E.g. on Xfce, if the desktop
> > application requests a file operation, the file manager is activated
> > over D-Bus and runs in the background. Only the file operation
> > dialog is presented to the user.
>
> Ok, I understand. I'm not very familiar with dbus.
>
> But then still somewhere has to be defined that the app which is
> assigned to open the url.
> That depends on what. The environment?

With D-Bus that depends on which application is installed that
implements the D-Bus interface in question. I don't really
know what happens if several such applications or services are
installed. The decision which one to start depends on D-Bus
in that case.

Applications can hard-code which of the alternatives to use but the
entire (or at least an important) point of standardized APIs is to avoid
that.

  - Jannis