RFC: An app category for "adult" material?

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 06:15:15 PDT 2011

Hi,

The latest tickets in what's been a recurring item for our application
search in Ubuntu is
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/883800. It
basically boils down to the fact that you may not want PornView (or
other adult apps) popping up as you type a search during a
presentation (or have your kids look at it for that matter).

I think that no one wants to get into censorship  - and there are many
ramifications of this problem. For example, it might not be
appropriate if bible-related apps show up while a rabbi is giving a
talk. Make up your own examples ad lib. This all get's really complex
really fast.

So keeping it to a problem that we can easily solve a user proposed
something that I also think the upstream app authors wouldn't mind:
Introducing a new XDG category "Adult". That way it is a sensible
upstream opt-in, and distros and app stores can handle it like they
see fit.

What say you?

--
Cheers,