[PATCH 1/2] menu: Relax main category requirements.
Peter TB Brett
peter at peter-b.co.uk
Mon Nov 14 04:03:59 PST 2011
The list of Main Categories does not provide a complete ontology for
application categorisation. A very large number of applications
(e.g. specialist scientific and engineering applications) have
therefore been unable to list one of the existing Main Categories in
their .desktop files, leading to nonconformance with this
This patch relaxes the requirement to list at least one Main Category
in conformant .desktop files. This permits conformant .desktop files
to be written for applications that do not fit into the existing Main
See also: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.freedesktop.xdg/12770
menu/menu-spec.xml | 16 +++++++---------
1 files changed, 7 insertions(+), 9 deletions(-)
diff --git a/menu/menu-spec.xml b/menu/menu-spec.xml
index 28c0097..00665a4 100644
@@ -1330,8 +1330,7 @@
show up in a section of the application menu dedicated to this
category. The list of Additional Categories provides categories
that can be used to provide more fine grained information about
- the application. Additional Categories should always be used in
- combination with one of the Main Categories.
+ the application.
The table below lists all Main Categories.
@@ -1393,13 +1392,12 @@
The table below describes Additional Categories. The Related
- Categories column lists one or more categories that are suggested
- to be used in conjunction with the Additional Category. Note that at
- least one Main Category must be included in the desktop entry's list
- of categories. If multiple Main Categories are included in a single
- desktop entry file, the entry may appear more than once in the menu.
- If the Related Categories column is blank, the
- Additional Category can be used with any Main Category.
+ Categories column lists one or more categories that are
+ suggested to be used in conjunction with the Additional
+ Category. If multiple Main Categories are included in a single
+ desktop entry file, the entry may appear more than once in the
+ menu. If the Related Categories column is blank, the Additional
+ Category can be used with any Main Category.
More information about the xdg