RFC: An app category for "adult" material?

Peter Brett peter at peter-b.co.uk
Mon Nov 21 02:17:40 PST 2011

Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt at canonical.com> writes:

> That wouldn't work, for two reasons.
>
> First, it would group unrelated properties.
>
> [snip]
>
> Second, it would be uselessly coarse.
>
> [snip]

I agree entirely.

Furthermore, it occurs to me that there's nothing stopping a
distribution's packagers from adding an "Adult" categorisation to
applications that they feel need it, even if it is not part of the
specification's registered categories.

Adding the "Adult" category to the spec is clearly the Wrong Thing, both
technically and semantically, and seems to me to be an attempt to misuse
the .desktop file Categories field in an inappropriate way.

Is it possible to back this change out?

                      Peter

--
Peter Brett <peter at peter-b.co.uk>