RFC: An app category for "adult" material?

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Mon Nov 21 05:40:55 PST 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-21 at 10:17 +0000, Peter Brett wrote:
[...]
> Furthermore, it occurs to me that there's nothing stopping a
> distribution's packagers from adding an "Adult" categorisation to
> applications that they feel need it, even if it is not part of the
> specification's registered categories.

It's hard to imagine a commercially-funded Linux distribution wanting to
ship with a pornography category, which is how the term Adult is usually
interpreted in the US and Canada (i.e. it's a common euphemism).

Mature Content is the more general phrase if it's not explicitly sexual.

Violence in the US isn't generally considered as needing a warning
label.

On the other and I think it'll be a good way to filter out applications
that are not appropriate in a corporate environment, or to help people
setting up public-access terminals, e.g. at a university or library,
where there might be laws or rules against providing pornographic
content.

Apart from "pornview" (just because of the name :-)) I don't know what,
if any, applications would go in this adult-only category, though.

A mature-content category might have violent games in it, or maybe tax
and accounting applications on the grounds that children don't need
them?

Liam