Extending the Desktop Entry spec for static app actions

Giovanni Campagna scampa.giovanni at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 14:03:08 PST 2011

Il giorno gio, 24/11/2011 alle 17.56 +0000, Jannis Pohlmann ha scritto:
> On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 17:43:17 +0000
> Peter Brett <peter at peter-b.co.uk> wrote:
>> [...]
> >
> > It would be nice to avoid a repeat of the controversy that happened
> > earlier this year w.r.t. libappindicator/StatusNotifier and GNOME,
> > and I think the best way to avoid that would be for the GNOME and KDE
> > and Unity (and XFCE etc.) folks to collaborate and present a proposal
> > *together*.
>
> I haven't managed to read the previous mails properly yet but let me
> throw in here that Xfce has repeatedly complained about Desktop Actions
> being deprecated (for no particularly convincing reasons AFAIR) because
> we found them to be very useful.

What specification are you referring to?
In case of DES-EMA (http://www.nautilus-actions.org/?q=node/377), I
don't think that's deprecated. In fact, nautilus-actions still exists,
even if it's not in the default package set.
In any case, I don't think that specification is appropriate for what
I'm currently proposing here. Similar to the previously cited KDE
ServiceMenus, it targets file managers, not app launchers, and thus goes
a long way to match on particular subset of files, resulting in a very
complex specification, for a use case that it's supposedly simple. Also,
it allows recursive submenus, which I don't think we want to support.

Giovanni