RFC: make menu implementations tolerant of vendor changes

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 05:24:15 PDT 2012

On 11 April 2012 23:38, Vincent Untz <vuntz at gnome.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le mercredi 11 avril 2012, à 15:32 -0400, Bill Nottingham a écrit :
>> In Fedora, we've had the issue where some desktop files were incorrectly
>> shipped with a vendor prefix. Due to the fact that the file name often
>> is used as a key, we then are 'stuck' with either maintaining the bad
>> vendor prefix indefinitely (potentially incompatibly with other distributors
>> or upstreams), or changing the vendor prefix (breaking edited menus, user
>> shortcuts, and so on.).
>>
>> One solution would be to have implementations be tolerant of vendor changes
>> in desktop file names - if they don't find a file with the vendor prefix, to
>> try again without the vendor prefix. Is this something that's worth adding
>> as a recommendation for implementations via XDG, or are there better
>> solutions?
>
> To be honest, my gut feeling is that Fedora should just bite the bullet
> and suffer for one release. It's much simpler than adding more
> complexity to the whole system.

I agree with Vincent I am afraid. Looking up .desktop files via
desktop file ids is already somewhat of an advanced dance of
heuristics, making it even more complicated will make it even more
unpleasant to implement correctly.

It might be possible to write a simple toll to correct user configs on
upgrades though?

Cheers,
Mikkel