Support for localized Exec entries, please

Ronny Standtke ronny.standtke at gmx.net
Fri Apr 20 08:23:07 PDT 2012

Hi
> The main argument against localized exec is that it doesn't really
> make sense.
Well, I think I have already shown a valid use case...

Our main user group are Swiss students. Switzerland has four official
languages. The problem is even not limited to the Exec and URL keys!
Yesterday we even run into the problem that some content is only
available in certain languages and when a student logs into the system
we do not want to clutter the startup menu with entries that are not
available in the student's language. Therefore we used the line
--------------------------
NoDisplay[it]=false
--------------------------
to *not* display an entry that made no sense for our Italian speaking
users. It works absolutely great in KDE! Congratulations and many thanks
to the KDE devs for not following the specs and providing such a useful
and flexible desktop environment! :-)

But I still think it is unfortunate that we only have this great
flexibility in KDE and not in GNOME. Therefore I propose to update the
spec so that the keys NoDisplay, Exec and URL can be localized.

> Can't you use $LANG directly in the exec line anyway?
I just tested it and, unfortunately, no, it doesn't work because "$LANG"
in the exec line is not substituted. At least not in GNOME where
"Exec[$e]=..." actually *breaks* the desktop entry so that it does not
show up any more.

Best regards

Ronny Standtke