[RFC] Applications registration specification

Pier Luigi pierluigi.fiorini at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 06:33:31 PDT 2012

Hi,

It's the first mail I'm sending here and there's no better way to
start than submitting a new specification for discussion.

Before going further I introduce myself: I'm working on a pet project
of mine, Maui, a Linux-based system with a desktop environment based
Wayland and Qt 5.

Working on the desktop shell I was wondering how it could know what
applications were running, get notifications when an application
demands attention, identify and retrieve information from the desktop
file, integrate with the launcher bar (think of counters and progress
bars), etc...

Also since Maui supports bundles instead of normal packages, support
for multiple versions of the same application running at the same time
is important.

Other projects like Unity and GNOME Shell rely on the startup
notification specification which only works on X11. Unity also guess
what applications are running using bamf which seems too much
complicated to me.
DBus is something we share among all desktops and it doesn't rely on
X11, so why not using it?

A first draft of the specification is here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NcjquQHjJx4G3lTJQlLqMqgWKYpQpGAUqzU8rNvxK0A/edit

I would like to discuss this proposal with you, and hope it will be
part of the Fredesktop specifications soon.

Some parts are still missing but I want to design some DBus interfaces first.

--
"Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner
voice." (Steve Jobs)