Fwd: $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Wed Dec 5 16:21:59 PST 2012

On 5 December 2012 22:57, David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:

> Using /tmp for user-specific session sockets is what we've been doing for
> decades, I don't think we should break apps just because the user's OS
> doesn't
> have yet the fancy new /run/user directory.

PyXDG doesn't currently have any reference to $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR, so in my
case, this is purely a new feature, and can't break existing code.
Applications that are using /tmp for similar purposes must already have
other mechanisms to do that.

I still think the basic way to get the runtime directory should raise an
error if the environment variable isn't set - after all, PyXDG is an
implementation of the spec. I might offer a wrapper function with a
strict=True/False parameter, which would fall back on /tmp/app-username.

> I have to admit, that an application aborting due to no XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is
> exactly what made ubuntu implement it...
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/weston/+bug/1029223 pushed
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pam-xdg-support/+bug/894391
> to be implemented, it would seem.
>
> Strange that this behavior of "weston" didn't make debian do the same...

Well, Ubuntu is planning to make Wayland the default graphics thingy, so I
guess something that prevents Weston starting is much more pressing than it
is for Debian.

Thanks,
Thomas