$XDG_RUNTIME_DIR

Lennart Poettering mzkqt at 0pointer.de
Wed Dec 19 13:40:30 PST 2012

On Mon, 03.12.12 21:08, Jerome Leclanche (adys.wh at gmail.com) wrote:

> Agreed. python-xdg also doesn't provide a fallback:
> https://github.com/Adys/python-xdg/blob/master/xdg/basedir.py
>
> However I'd be more inclined to figure out if the *spec* not providing a
> fallback is a good idea. What's wrong with assuming .local/run or something?

The whole point of the XDG_RUNTIME_DIR spec is that no other dir really
guarantees all desirable semantics, hence we haven't declared any
fallback to use. Distros really should implement XDG_RUNTIME_DIR
properly. Implementations can define a fallback that they should nudge
about it, since breakage is likely in some cases. For example an
implementation falls back to $HOME then on NFS many features (such as
locks, mmap, inotify, ...) might silently break...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.