You're dropping me!

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Sun Dec 23 10:20:45 PST 2012

On Sun, 2012-12-23 at 10:03 -0800, Paul Rogers wrote:
>  I'm on a dialup line [...]  How can I dowload the server?

One way is to use curl or wget to download it to a server with faster
connection e.g. where your Web site is hosted; then use uuencode and
split, tomake multiple files each of around a megabyte, and download
those.

Another thing that may help is to run a slow ping in another window --
e.g.,
ping -s24 -i3 1.2.3.4
where 1.2.3.4 is the IP address of the server from which you're
downloading. It's always been unclear to me as to why this should help,
but it does seem to.

If you are just after binaries and not source, you can look for
magazines with a cd-rom (OK, DVD these days) for your operating system.
Although you are probably after source, since almost all Linux and BSD
systems include xorg these days.

Or ask someone to send you the source on CD.

Or take a laptop (or a blank CD or a thumb drive) to a public library.

Or ask your ISP why you get disconnected after a megabyte or two - it
might be that they are doing it to prevent "illegal downloads", although
if it doesn't hppen with other servers it seems unlikely.

Are you using ftp or http? Or SVN or GIT? Do you have enough disk space?
What colour socks are you wearing? Are you facing North when you type at
the computer? What error do you get exactly? From which URL? There's a
lot you haven't told us.