You're dropping me!

Paul Rogers paulgrogers at fastmail.fm
Sun Dec 23 13:51:29 PST 2012

On Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 11:23 AM, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> You didn't say whether you were using ftp or http in your message.
> Firefox supports both.

No, I didn't.  I was expecting this mailing list to get to someone who
had an idea how the site configuration was set up, for whom dropping a
slow connection might ring a bell.  Also that being dropped in a 5MB
download of xorg-server meant it was a source download.  One might have
thought also that
http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/xserver/
was the most likely place one would have found for the download.

> For what it's worth, in the past I (and others) have measured the
> difference this made; there appeared to be an interaction with rouers
> although I don't know if this is still true.

A "slow ping" is going to keep something up better than wget hammering
for packet after packet?  That is very strange indeed!

> There's a patch here
> http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2010-July/011317.html that may
> be relevant, although without more information about the actual error
> it's hard to know.

I've tried that.  It's in libpciaccess-0.11.0, IIRC.  No joy!  Come to
that, I expect trying xorg-server-1.7.7 won't do any good either.
Currently I've got something going on the BLFS-support mailing list--I
figured somebody there might have hit it because I'm using their list of
package versions for a 7.5 install.

> > > Or ask someone to send you the source on CD.
> > Or I could ask Santa Claus to bring it to me.
> >
> > How does this fix the problem of getting dropped?
>
> I don't have enough information to address that problem beyond giving
> you some suggestions that may help, which I have done.

You missed one, BTW.  You might have suggested I put a thumbdrive in my
pocket and drive the 11 miles to the PSU campus and see if anybody's
there the weekend before Xmas!

> Fun - no. You'd be surprised how many people don't realise that their
> local library offers free network access and computer facilities. You
> didn't mention whether you were trying to install on a laptop or
> desktop or something else.

As it happens mine does, but it's hardly universal in the USA, which is
where I am, but needn't have been to have asked about being dropped.

> Firefox handles multiple protocols, and if you want someone to
> investigate 'being dropped" you'd have to give the exact URL and the
> time, or find someone e.g. on an IRC channel to help you by watching
> the log to see if there's an error on the server.

No, I think I'd have to reach someone familiar with the site
configuration.  I got here as the site's suggestion for joining a
mailing list, but it's probably not the best of the 50+ freedesktop
seems to support.
--
Paul Rogers
paulgrogers at fastmail.fm