_DBUS_APPLICATION_ID, _DBUS_UNIQUE_NAME, and _DBUS_OBJECT_PATH

Federico Mena Quintero federico at gnome.org
Mon Jan 2 09:40:01 PST 2012

On Fri, 2011-12-16 at 17:51 +0100, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> related to this: we have implemented this in libkactivities as
> ResourceInstance which allows an application to publish what it is viewing. as
> it is published rather than queried this also lets one feed it into events
> recorders for logging, heuristics, etc. it uses DBus to do all the
> communication.

This sounds perfect.  In Zeitgeist, at some point we were looking for a
way to know what's open so we can correlate windows with documents and
that kind of thing.  ("You switched back and forth between these
windows, so their documents are probably related.")

> it would be fantastic if there was one generally agreed upon way of doing this
> so we don't end up with application chaos -> some doing it one way, others
> another. as we already have a working implementation, ResourceInstance could
> provide a starting point for a shared standard mechanism for applications to
> publish their "what is open" information.
>
> if you're interested, i'd be happy to provide more details as to how it is
> currently implemented (in terms of DBus interfaces)

Yes, please!  Where is this implemented?

  Federico