RFC: new OnlyShowIn/NotShowIn values: MATE and RAZOR

Pierre Wieser pwieser at trychlos.org
Mon Jan 16 12:51:57 PST 2012

> applications should be detecting capabilities, not doing string
> comparisons on desktop environment names.
>
> a desktop environment UX can change without its name changing; or new
> desktop environments, with similar UX can appear.

I have to admit I do not understand this position vs. the existance of
a specification which does *name* desktop environments.

If we are saying that the name of a DE does not matter in regards of
its capabilities, then we should deprecate the OnlyShowIn/NotShowIn
keys, and define something like RequiredCapabilities, or so,
shouldn't we ?

For now, I have a spec, and I am trying to respect it.. Probably I do
not understand well what is the goal of such a spec ?