xdgmime

Vincent Untz vuntz at gnome.org
Tue Jan 24 07:23:57 PST 2012

Le lundi 23 janvier 2012, à 23:20 +0100, David Faure a écrit :
> So for application .desktop files, we could have another helper binary, say
> update-app-database (part of shared-mime-info maybe, so that we don't need to
> depend on xdgmime, which we don't use in KDE and I think gnome might not
> either, or in a new module), which updates a new cache, say
> "application.cache" in a given directory. RPMs and other packages would run
> that script when installing .desktop files, and then xdgmime could just mmap
> that and look things up directly, without the need to parse any .desktop files
> during the application runtime. Now if you implemented that, it would
> definitely be the best Christmas ever, in my eyes :-)

For reference, there's a update-desktop-database tool. It doesn't do
what you're describing here, but it creates a mimeinfo.cache file (not
mmap'able, though). Still, it's useful for mime implementations, so they
don't have to parse all .desktop files to find a mime handler.

Cheers,

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.