PyXDG licensing

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Wed Jun 20 07:52:53 PDT 2012

On 20 June 2012 15:22, Martin Owens <doctormo at gmail.com> wrote:
> The python library should not be contained (wholly or partially) within
> another work, so, don't bake parts of the library into your codebase and
> you should be fine.

Unfortunately, while it might be silly, people do distribute programs
by bundling up all the code it needs to run. I've seen this even on
Linux. I don't want to forbid this if people find it useful.

> And the LGPL would catch you there anyway if you
> tried such a silly thing.

I don't believe it would, because of section 6 (LGPL v2):

'you may also combine or link a "work that uses the Library" with the
Library to produce a work containing portions of the Library, and
distribute that work under terms of your choice,'

That has the condition that the end user must be able to modify the
library and make the combined work use their modified version. Of
course, with Python code, this will always be possible.

Best wishes,
Thomas