Can *.desktop files be located in /usr/local/applications?

jupiter jupiter.hce at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 18:28:58 PDT 2012

Sorry for asking a simple quesiton, I am new to the freedesktop. I
have read the latest spec, but still not clear if I can put
application *.desktop to different locations such as
/usr/local/application1/application1.desktop,
/usr/local/application2/application2.desktop, etc.. If it can, what I
should to do to make those applications listed in desktop based on
user ID or group ID? Appreciate any helps.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Jupiter