RFC: New category XFCE for menu-spec

Samuli Suominen ssuominen at gentoo.org
Tue Mar 13 04:19:37 PDT 2012

On 03/13/2012 01:08 PM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> On 03/13/2012 12:17 PM, Vincent Untz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Le mercredi 07 mars 2012, à 19:30 +0200, Samuli Suominen a écrit :
>>> I've started seeing these with latest Xfce git:
>>>
>>> * /usr/share/applications/example.desktop: value
>>> "XFCE;GTK;Settings;DesktopSettings;X-XFCE-SettingsDialog;X-XFCE-SystemSettings;"
>>>
>>> for key "Categories" in group "Desktop Entry" contains an
>>> unregistered value "XFCE"; values extending the format should start
>>> with "X-"
>>>
>>> And I've discussed it at #xfce-dev on Freenode with 2 developers and
>>> the response was that this won't be changing and it's correct.
>>>
>>> Therefore I'm suggesting XFCE to be included in the
>>>
>>> http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html
>>>
>>> The same way GNOME is there right now:
>>>
>>> GNOME Application based on GNOME libraries GTK
>>> XFCE Application based on XFCE libraries GTK
>>
>> May I ask what's the use case? I know that we have GNOME and KDE there,
>> but I'm not even sure why we have them in the first place :-)
>
> My first reaction when I saw the warning was to change everything to
> X-XFCE since I don't see any point in these desktop specific categories
> either. But that's just me.
>
> It would be analogous to GNOME and KDE, but that's probably too simplist
> for a reasoning?
>
> I've asked on the #xfce-dev IRC channel on Freenode for better reasoning
> minute ago, we'll see if I can come up with something more sane.

I've sent a patch years ago to the xscreensaver author (jwz) to add
X-XFCE; in the xscreensaver-properties.desktop. When XFCE; or X-XFCE; is
coupled with Settings; in Categories= the Xfce Settings Manager can show
a icon of it:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~ssuominen/xfce4-settings-manager.png

xscreensaver-properties.desktop (as shipped with xscreensaver itself)
looks like:

Categories=Settings;DesktopSettings;Security;X-XFCE;

I guess it would make sense to standardize the XFCE; in the spec then...

Unless someone convinces the Xfce developers to make use of
OnlyShowIn/NotShowIn for the Settings Manager.

I'll see if I can come up with more ;-)

- Samuli