Fwd: Suggestion to keep the type of a file or directory in the stat field st_rdev.

François Revol revol at free.fr
Tue Mar 13 16:49:38 PDT 2012

On -10/01/-28163 20:59, Trans wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Stef Bon <stefbon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've posted a suggestion about making the reading of directories
>> faster when the fileystem is considered to be slow. Recent versions of
>> the KDE dir listning calls, do not lookup the mimetype and .directory
>> files when dealing with a remote or FUSE filesystem. Below is the
>> message about storing information in the st.st_rdev field, which is
>> not used for "normal" files and directories. I did not get a reply
>> there, so I better post it here. What about it?
>>

> BIG FAT +1
>
> I have thought for a long time now that file systems are way behind the
> times without a type field.

Depending how and where you want this, it will cause trouble...

cause:
a) it's not in POSIX.
b) we don't all agree on mime types for directories and other things...
BeOS used application/x-vnd.Be-directory since long before any desktop
on GNU/Linux even considered using mime types...

Are you meaning on a single host, or including in networked fs ? (BTW,
NFSv4 supposedly has some xattr features, but I don't think anyone used
it yet)

François.