Proposal: preferred-theme-spec - a spec for getting and setting default icon/cursor/sound themes

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 07:16:11 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Vincent Untz <vuntz at gnome.org> wrote:

> Le lundi 26 mars 2012, à 14:53 +0100, Jerome Leclanche a écrit :
> > On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Vincent Untz <vuntz at gnome.org> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > I would think that the right way to get the themes would be through
> > > xsettings:
> > >

> http://specifications.freedesktop.org/xsettings-spec/xsettings-latest.html
> > >  http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/XSettingsRegistry
> > >
> > > (more settings could be added to the registry, if needed)
>
> [...]
>
> > The issue is not just changing the theme, it's also getting it. This is
> an
> > issue for libraries that provide tools to get file paths for a theme
> action
> > (in this case, Qt's QIcon.fromTheme:
> > http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qicon.html#fromTheme).
>
> See my quote above about xsettings :-)
>
> > And while it's true
> > DEs provide custom ways to change the local theme, someone may wish to
> > create a cross-platform cross-desktop one.
>
> I don't think "may wish" is something that we'll want to cover with a
> spec, to be honest. Unless there's a need acknowledged by people from
> various desktops, of course.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Vincent
>
> --
> Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.

I don't believe xsettings fits the needs brought forward by this spec:
 - Human readable/editable
 - Ease of use and implementation
 - Usable by all DEs with simple fallbacks
 - Multiple-level configuration (with XDG_DATA_DIRS)

Additionally, please correct me if I'm mistaken, xsettings is barely in use
by all DEs. It would be hard to convince DEs to use it for this, I think.
Am I incorrect?

J. Leclanche