Proposal: preferred-theme-spec - a spec for getting and setting default icon/cursor/sound themes

Vincent Untz vuntz at gnome.org
Mon Mar 26 09:35:48 PDT 2012

Le mardi 27 mars 2012, à 00:21 +0800, PCMan a écrit :
> 1. Xsettings is a way to expose the settings to applications. It does not
> define how you store the settings.

Yes, nobody said it was about storing the settings.

> 2. Xsettings, is actually used by gtk+ only. Though there is a KDE port,
> it's not part of KDE. In LXDE we support Xsettings simply because we're
> using gtk+. [...]
>
> 3. Every desktop of course has its own way to handle settings, but it's
> nice to have a common way to specify icon themes and cursors. There are
> many small programs which are not bound to a specific DE. They absolutely
> need this. Please, not everyone is using gnome.
>
> The purpose of freedesktop.org is to provide cross-desktop solutions rather
> than asking everyone to follow the design of the largest and most famous DE.

Hrm, but xsettings is already a xdg spec. That was my point. We can have
a competing spec, but unless there's a real investigation as to why
xsettings is not used everywhere, I don't see why the competing spec
would be more successful.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.