Relative paths in .desktop files

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Thu May 24 21:45:58 PDT 2012

On 05/20/2012 10:27 PM, Michael Thayer wrote:
> On 05/19/2012 01:20 PM, David Faure wrote:

>>> I agree with what you said about the second variant being more useful.
>>> In fact it seems more intuitive to me to specify all paths as absolute
>>> (that is Exec too) if you really know that you are wanting to
>>> run /tmp/foo.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>> Did anything come out of this? Should the suggested patch for the spec be
>> amended to clarify the issue above?
>>
>> Any objections from main implementors to supporting "./" in Exec and Icon
>> fields?
>>
> I had actually given up on this as no one with commit rights seemed to
> be inclined to make the change, and at least Marty Jack and PCMan didn't
> seem very keen on it. I would certainly still be interested in seeing it
> though.
Actually I can quickly summarise the objections (and my answers):
* Marty thought that this overlapped with the Autostart spec; I would
say that they are orthogonal, as this describes an application and
Autostart says what is to be started.
* Marty thought that this didn't help existing users of .desktop files;
I agree, though I would point out that Nautilus (didn't check other file
managers) can use .desktop files in random locations, but requires that
they refer to an application with absolute paths.  I think that in that
particular case this would improve usability.
* Marty objected that this didn't support multi-architecture.  I agree,
but would say that that is a separate issue which can be addressed
separately if needed (an expander in a relative path?), and can be
hacked now easily using scripts.
* PCMan thought that AppFolders would solve the problem better.  Again,
I agree, but there is no freedesktop AppFolder specification that I am
aware of.  In fact a relative .desktop file in a directory containing an
application seems to me like a good way of implementing them!
* PCMan suggested embedding icons into scripts.  Unfortunately I don't
think that there is a universally accepted way of doing this, and
requiring a (complex) installation procedure for it to work rather
defeats the purpose.

Is there anything else I can do or address to make this move?

Regards,

Michael
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineering
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher