Command for updating or refreshing desktop menu

Samuli Suominen ssuominen at gentoo.org
Fri Nov 23 03:07:55 PST 2012

On 23/11/12 13:02, Sergio wrote:

> [...]

It's a job for the package maintainer / package manager to take care of
running update-desktop-database when a .desktop file contains a
MimeType= line
And update-mime-database when /usr/share/mime file is installed
But you can run those too, just run them both, as root to
/usr/share/applications and /usr/local/share/applications and possible
as a user to ~/.local/share/applications, or whatever $XDG_DATA_DIRS
paths you are using
Then if your kernel is properly configured to include INOTIFY support,
and the system glib is compiled properly with a support for inotify,
file changes are immediately picked up

- Samuli