Registering my application as capable of handling the mailto: URLs

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 09:59:37 PST 2012

The correct way is indeed registering the x-scheme-handler/mailto mime
type. To get a list of apps that can do that, just query for this mime
type. The user's preference is set by modifying which default app opens the
x-scheme-handler/mailto mime type, like it would check for the default
text/plain app.

http://standards.freedesktop.org/shared-mime-info-spec/shared-mime-info-spec-0.11.html

J. Leclanche