xdg-utils: How to handle audio CDs?

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 1 00:55:03 PDT 2012

Dear Jerome,

Am Sonntag, den 30.09.2012, 19:41 +0100 schrieb Jerome Leclanche:

> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 7:40 PM, Paul Menzel wrote:

> > I am having trouble to deal with audio CDs.
> >
> > On Debian Sid/unstable,
> >
> >     $ xdg-open cdda://sr0/
> >
> > opens a Web browser with that URI. I am trying to get an audio CD opened
> > with `rhythmbox-device.desktop`.
> >
> >         MimeType=x-content/audio-player;x-content/audio-cdda;
> >
> > But using `xdg-mime` to configure things I am completely failing.
> >
> >         $ xdg-mime query filetype cdda://sr0/
> >         xdg-mime: file 'cdda://sr0/' does not exist
> >         $ xdg-mime query default x-content/audio-cdda
> >         $ xdg-mime query default x-content/audio-player
> >
> > So I guess, I am missing the MIME type of an audio CD?
>
> Try x-scheme-handler/cdda.

Do you mean in the desktop file or when using the tools?

The command

    $ xdg-mime query default "x-scheme-handler/cdda"
    $

does not return anything either.

The strange thing is, that although the commands above fail to come up
with applications, GNOME and LXDE still offer sound-juicer and Rhythmbox
to open an audio CD. Though, that probably just means that no default
has been added to the MIME database(?).

Is there a command line to display all desktop files capable to deal
with a certain MIME type? Something like the following?

    $ xdg-mime query all "x-content/audio-cdda"

Thanks,

Paul