URL and application handling/registration standard

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Tue Oct 2 06:16:59 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 2012-09-30, Jerome Leclanche wrote:

>  - What happens if the uri isn't an image? It should instead be opened in a
> browser. But xdg-open cannot know how to open and sniff arbitrary
> protocols, so it either has to open in an http reader *first* that then
> forwards it to an image viewer, or the image viewer has to understand a lot
> more about the protocol than might be implemented. Confusion can arise if
> the image format is not supported by the image viewer, too (but still
> registered); it would forward back and forth between browser and image
> viewer.

Behavior will largely depend on the actual program xdg-open delegates to.
E.g. on KDE the KIO subsystem knows how to determine the MIME type of a
resource and will look up the application associated with it.

I would guess that this is also true for GNOME and their IO framework.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring