URL and application handling/registration standard

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Oct 21 13:58:12 PDT 2012

On Friday 19 October 2012 17:09:50 David Faure wrote:
> > Better solution yet, imho: Screw being too clever.
> >
> >  - Have apps list protocols they support. Eg
> >
> > Protocols=x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;
>
> Never ever do this, for the reasons above. HTTP is too complex to send all
> http urls to a single app.

Ouch, and I just found out that /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop says

MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;text/mml;application/x-
xpinstall;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;x-scheme-handler/ftp;

on OpenSUSE 12.1 at least.
(MozillaFirefox-15.0.1-2.40.1.x86_64)

Didn't we say no application should ever associate itself with x-scheme-
handler/http?
This is supposed to have priority over anything else, right? (i.e. over the
standard mechanism of launching an app based on the file contents).
That's fine for special protocols (magnet://, telnet:// etc.) but not for
HTTP...