desktop-file-validate vs. spec discrepancy

Peter TB Brett peter at peter-b.co.uk
Thu Sep 6 06:13:57 PDT 2012

Michael Palimaka <kensington at gentoo.org> writes:

> Using the example of "Categories=Qt;KDE;Education;Math;",
> desktop-file-validate says: error: (will be fatal in the future):
> value "Math" in key "Categories" in group "Desktop Entry" requires
> another category to be present among the following categories:
> Education;Science
>
> Is the spec wrong, or is this a bug in the tool?

I proposed and had accepted some changes that substantially reduce
strictness in categorisation.  The discussion can be found in archives
here:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.freedesktop.xdg/12770

The patch which needs to be respected by desktop-file-validate is here:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xdg/xdg-specs/commit?id=5a9f05d86973

Hope that helps,

                        Peter

--