Direct-opening a temporary file using the user's preferred application

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Wed Apr 17 09:38:22 PDT 2013

On 17 April 2013 15:24, Jan Kundrát <jkt at flaska.net> wrote:

> This is not meant to say that your proposal is wrong -- it might actually
> be the best option which is available *right now*. It's just that I would
> like to have a solution which somehow elliminates all of the problems I
> described. If only the "D-Bus activation" included an option for "throw
> away that file after reading it, prompt user for another name when
> modified,..." -- would something like that be feasible?

When I directly open a document from the web, using Firefox, it opens in a
read only view (in, say, Libreoffice).
I've just tested, and it looks like it simply saves it, and then removes
all write permissions from the file before
 opening it, so Libreoffice offers 'Save as', but disables 'Save', and I
can't easily overwrite the file. Is that the sort of thing you're after? It
seems much simpler than bringing D-Bus into it.

Thomas