New handling for URI scheme handlers

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 01:40:00 PST 2013

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 7:57 AM, Bastien Nocera <hadess at hadess.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-12-02 at 07:49 +0000, Jerome Leclanche wrote:

>> > I wish it worked like that as well, but you've just broken one-time URLs
>> > and tried to open a login page in LibreOffice if you don't share cookie
>> > jars between all the clients.
>>
>> With a middleman client this is a solved issue; it would be identified
>> as a page to take care of in the browser.
>
> Let me know when you have that middle man client implemented :)
>
> I wonder how you'll handover to the dozen of different web browsers,
> read their cookie jars, or get applications with links to use your
> middle man client instead of whatever HTTP library they want to use.
>
> It's a nice idea, but it's just not feasible without a clean slate. I
> think that GNOME's current approach is more pragmatic, especially with
> HTTP's baggage.

I think you're confused about the complexity of the task.

All the client does is, for http:
 - Parse the url given to it
 - Identify whether it's potentially a file through its name (get a
filename if there's one)
 - If it is, run a match against the xdg patterns on it
 - If there's any match that is not an app that is associated with
x-scheme-handler/http(s), do HTTP HEAD on the url
 - If the HEAD was successful and returns a mime type in the mime type
db and the mime type is associated with an app, *download* the file
 -> Hand off downloaded file to the associated app
 * If any step fails, hand off to web browser

This could be a simple script, or it could be a more involved download
manager that would integrate with the desktop (a neat system-wide
download bar such and such).

J. Leclanche