Fwd: 'open' instead of 'xdg-open' for usability?

Robert Qualls robert at robertqualls.com
Mon Dec 16 09:00:36 PST 2013

Simon McVittie wrote:
> And then what? How does this group impose their world view on the
> other 99.99% of the world?

Standards aren't about coercion. It's more like "if enough people
agree on this thing or some modification of it we've proposed, then
it's the case now." Of course, if enough groups didn't agree, the idea
would just fall apart, and it wouldn't be wise for the supporters to
start adhering to the changes, since it would just create an even
bigger mess.

> We can never fix that for open(1), because it's too late.

I'm looking through code on github to get a feel for how common of an
alias it is, and it doesn't seem to show up very much. What I mostly
see are either OSX users or people who have aliased open to either
gnome-open or xdg-open. The fact that people are leaving it aliased in
their dotfiles at least indicates that they aren't running into
problems with anything common. I'm not saying we should be like
Microsoft and start changing things willy-nilly, but...I mean, this is
about removing a (seemingly, at least) uncommon, inappropriate alias,
not a regime change in Pakistan.

I'll see if I can get the alias dropped.