Fwd: 'open' instead of 'xdg-open' for usability?

Robert Qualls robert at robertqualls.com
Wed Dec 18 02:59:33 PST 2013

> I have to agree with you, but I have strong doubts about just
> "renaming" xdg-open to open (without keeping xdg-open available)
> because of lot of 3rd party applications (including proprietary one)
> have standardized on xdg-open and not having xdg-open available
> will break them, for zero added value.

Looking back, I see how my thread title suggested renaming xdg-open. I
actually didn't mean this. I just think that the open should refer to
xdg-open or any other agnostic file opener. Other than breaking
things, it's quite possible that xdg-open will not always be the best
way to open files, especially since it assumes a desktop environment.

Since some of the more conservative distributions are worried about
compatiblity, it might be possible for an interim script to determine
whether the call is likely to open a file or is intended for openvt.
Maybe. xdg-mime query filetype and if it's a file, use xdg-open?

I threw this together. Seems to work for the one file case.

if xdg-mime query filetype $1 &>/dev/null; then
  xdg-open $1 &>/dev/null
else
  openvt "$@"
fi

As an update, I posted an issue at Arch Linux, and the response seemed
to indicate it was acceptable for them, but Arch culture is to wait
for changes to occur upstream, so they aren't going to change
anything. As of right now, open points to nothing in Arch.