Recognizing $XDG_GAMES_DIR

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 20:44:55 PST 2013

Thoughts on recognizing and managing $XDG_GAMES_DIR, and possibly
translating it in xdg-user-dirs?
(http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-user-dirs/)

It's a bit analogous to windows'  "My Games" / "Saved Games" folder.
Wine in fact needs it (currently its always using "<My Documents aka
$HOME>/my games"), though it can do without. Steam is in the same
situation (Steam on Windows saves to My Games and Steam's online
service).

On Windows, the folder contains saves, scores, player data etc for
specifically games applications.
This has been on the back of my mind for a little while now. There's
the obvious answer of using ~/.local/share for game saves (in fact
thats pretty much what that is for), but there's also obvious
advantages to having saved games in their own folders.

So there's also the option of defaulting it in
~/.local/share/gamesaves or ~/.local/games or something and not have
it localized by xdg-user-dirs, which is more unixy/linuxy and in which
case it wouldn't be managed by xdg-user-dirs at all. This comes down
to "Does game save data need to be user-facing?".

Thoughts?

J. Leclanche