open(1) removed from Debian? (was: 'open' instead of 'xdg-open' for usability?)

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 11:34:14 PST 2013

If xdg went ahead with the rename, and if debian included that update,
that would create a conflict on that package. I don't know what they
would do, but since the command is pretty much deprecated, I can
assume they would drop /bin/open from kdb and warn users. The reason
it's still there is they've had no reason to drop it.
This is imho a distribution problem.

J. Leclanche