open(1) removed from Debian? (was: 'open' instead of 'xdg-open' for usability?)

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Mon Dec 23 18:38:01 PST 2013

On Sun, 2013-12-22 at 00:28 -0600, Robert Qualls wrote:
> [...]

>  open belongs in a separate project for high-level,
> user-facing commands that's basically just a bunch of wrappers that
> can be easily personalized by users and maintained over time. This
> way, the community can have a discussion about what commands should be
> kept and how they should be implemented.

Some GNU/Linux™[1] distributions use a parallel mechanism for
system-wide customization, update-alternatives, which uses
a /etc/alternatives/ directory and symbolic links to activate different
system components such as libraries, JVM, /usr/bin commands etc.

A danger in customizing shell-level commands is that shell-scripts can
become hard to debug remotely and hard to share.

I'm personally in favour of keeping xdg-open and not making a grab for
"open", because it helps people remember that the user of a script might
be running a different desktop environment, and that "xdg-open
instructions.txt" might not (for example) bring up gedit by default for
them.

Others mentioned OS X, but it should be remembered that OS X doesn't
support multiple desktop environments in the way that's the entire
raison d'etre for the xdg effort...

Liam

[1] Linux is a trademark of Linux Torvalds.