Binary name in the desktop file

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Dec 26 05:04:27 PST 2013

On quinta-feira, 26 de dezembro de 2013 12:55:28, Jerome Leclanche wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> > On quinta-feira, 26 de dezembro de 2013 10:56:11, Jerome Leclanche wrote:
> >> I'd really like to be able to get the binary name from desktop files
> >> (eg a way to "start without any argument").
> >
> > Why?
>
> I need it for intents, for one. Secondly, what I said above: Runners
> need it in order not to fail for some programs. And third, it seems
> absurd that it's not something possible to date.

The third one is the easiest to explain: no one has needed it.

I don't know what intents or runners are and why they need the binary name so
that they won't fail. Why is the binary name important? Aren't any of the
other arguments important too? Please describe what you need to accomplish,
not the solution that you think will get you there.

"Intents" reminds me of Android, which doesn't use XDG so it's not relevant.
"Runners" reminds me of KRunner plugins (they're called "runners") which are
found by .desktop files, but they are plugins so they have no Exec= line.
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358