Binary name in the desktop file

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Thu Dec 26 05:41:42 PST 2013

On Thursday, 2013-12-26, 21:18:43, Ma Xiaojun wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 8:09 PM, Kevin Krammer <krammer at kde.org> wrote:
> > If wine cannot accept the prefix as a command line argument, then this
> > should use a script that adjusts the environment accordingly before
> > calling the binary.
> >
> > I just don't see how adding an addtional key would make people who prefer
> > hacks over proper solutions magically use proper solutions.
>
> What are proper solutions?

Well, in the case at hand a script that ensures the desired environment and
then launches the program. A quite common pattern, usually called a starter
script.

> Every program should have command line arguments for what can be
> specified in command line arguments?

I am afraid I don't get that. Every command line argument should be a command
line argument? Isn't that being a command line argument the definition of a
command line argument?

> Every program should have a wrapper script? Well, how to change
> environment on per user basis?

Most script languages can evaluate conditions, some have access to the
environment, e.g. $USER.
Anyway, how do you do that in an Exec line and how does the same mechanism
allow to pass user specific settings to a binary but not to a starter script?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring