Binary name in the desktop file

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Thu Dec 26 12:33:18 PST 2013

On Thu, 2013-12-26 at 10:56 +0000, Jerome Leclanche wrote:
> I'd really like to be able to get the binary name from desktop files

What if there's no binary, e.g. a shell script or a python-based program
with a UI?

What about a Java program,
java -cp .... -jar ...
?
If you just run "java" you won't see much.

> (eg a way to "start without any argument"). Current implementations
> rely on getting the first word of the Exec key OR replace %f etc by
> nothing, but that fails for things such as these:
>
> Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/adys/.local/share/wineprefixes/default"
> wine start /ProgIDOpen chm.file %f

What exactly fails here?

Like others I've no idea about "runners" or "intents", but maybe that's
because I don't run KDE? I'm not sure that a cross-desktop environment
facility should hard-code environment-specific ideas. But if it's a
concept useful elsewhere then it may make sense.

I *think* you might really be asking for a way to run a program without
opening a specific file, is that right? It's not about having no
arguments such as "-c"...

If so, that might be a good idea, and should indeed be a separate entry.
But doesn't the menu entry already give you this?

Liam