Binary name in the desktop file

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Thu Dec 26 14:20:52 PST 2013

On 26 December 2013 20:33, Liam R E Quin <liam at holoweb.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-12-26 at 10:56 +0000, Jerome Leclanche wrote:
> > I'd really like to be able to get the binary name from desktop files
>
> What if there's no binary, e.g. a shell script or a python-based program
> with a UI?

I think this is a key issue: do you actually mean the binary which will be
executed as machine code by the system, or do you mean the filename of
something which represents the application - which could be a binary, a
Python script, a Java jar, a Wine executable, etc?

Jerome, you've also said that part of the issue is that applications cannot
use a different command line syntax for launching with and without input
args such as filenames. Do we have any examples of applications that need
this, or would like to need this? I guess if files were specified for
something as e.g. "--file %f", it would be necessary.

Thanks,
Thomas