Binary name in the desktop file

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Dec 28 15:39:00 PST 2013

On sábado, 28 de dezembro de 2013 17:45:51, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> It seems the use case is "I want to launch an app whose Exec line takes
> filenames or URIs but don't want to pass it any arguments". In the case of
> the Wine example, it's not the "env" line that's the problem, it's that the
> "/ProgIDOpen" won't work unless there are more files after it. I'd perhaps
> argue that you shouldn't build your apps like that, and apps have been
> built this way for 12 years without major troubles, and DBus activation is
> right around the corner, but maybe it's worth speccing in a "BareExec" key.

That case is already handled: the spec requires the program to be launchable
with no arguments if it's present in the menu. There is no case of an
application that cannot be launched with zero filename or URL arguments if that
.desktop file is in the menu.

If it's not in the menu (NoDisplay=true), then it can only be launched via file
association. In which case, it will be only launched with exactly one filename
or URL argument.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358