Desktop file spec improvements (was: Binary name in the desktop file)

Ryan Lortie desrt at desrt.ca
Tue Dec 31 02:44:12 PST 2013

hi,

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013, at 5:39, David Faure wrote:
> It is missing in many many
> .desktop
> files, but this means solving this doesn't require a change in the spec,
> it
> only requires everyone to add that TryExec key in most desktop files.

TryExec has a negative performance implication: you must do at least one
stat call (and possibly several in the case that you are searching the
path) in order to find out if the desktop file should be shown or not.
With the desktop file index in place, this turns out to be the single
most-expensive thing that we have to do when listing off all desktop
files.  In light of this, I'd generally advise people to _avoid_ adding
TryExec.

Cheers