Fwd: $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Jan 4 05:07:25 PST 2013

On Tuesday 25 December 2012 11:22:36 Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Montag, 24. Dezember 2012, 12:31:11 schrieb Lennart Poettering:
>
> Hi,
>
> > Also, it's an illusion to believe our desktops could deal properly with
> > multiple sessions at the same time for the same user
>
> Why?
>
> The different sessions can easily be discriminated using DISPLAY.

Well, the apps will compete for writing over the same config files, the same
local email directory, and so on.
So, I agree that two full sessions doesn't make sense.
However I very often use ssh with X forwarding, to then run remotely (so, with
a different $DISPLAY value) a single app that isn't already running on the
machine. And when doing that, KDE currently takes care of running a different
set of daemons with the DISPLAY name in their socket names, to avoid
interferring with the running session.
Even DBus autostart is per display already.

Anyhow. The thing that bothers me most is that not all distros implement it,
at this point.