Is gnome or nautilus fully compliant to freedesktop spec?

Samuli Suominen ssuominen at gentoo.org
Thu Jan 17 22:06:20 PST 2013

On 18/01/13 07:02, jupiter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A year ago, I started to implement application menus based on
> freedesktop spec, I could only get it work in xfce or kde, but not in
> gnome. After googling, I found some comments said that gnome is not
> fully compliant with freedesktop spec and it has bugs. Is it still the
> case today? Has anyone run application menus based on freedesktop spec
> in gnome?

The menu files are often in /etc/xdg/menus/ and I'm pretty sure I've
seen in early Gnome 2.x already a file called gnome-applications.menu.

In fact, I'm pretty sure it was the first desktop that gained the file.

So it certainly works to some extend, but I have to admit I'm not using
gnome and I'm not familiar with it (Xfce only here) so I can't give any
guarantees.

- Samuli