Is gnome or nautilus fully compliant to freedesktop spec?

jupiter jupiter.hce at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 05:01:03 PST 2013

On 1/18/13, Vincent Untz <vuntz at gnome.org> wrote:
> Le vendredi 18 janvier 2013, à 23:27 +1100, jupiter a écrit :

>> > You mean, by right-clicking on the desktop (we don't have that in
>> > GNOME)? Or something else?
>>
>> No, the application menu did not list in gnome desktop menu.
>
> I'm sorry, I still don't really understand the issue. Can you maybe
> provide a screenshot? Also, is the XDG_MENU_PREFIX environment variable
> set?

I am running xfce at the moment.

$ echo $XDG_MENU_PREFIX
xfce-

I don't have the screen shot at the moment, but I'll install a gnome
desktop and try it again. Will post the screen shot if the same
problems come again.

> [...]
>> >
>> > There's no support for environment variables in the desktop entry spec,
>> > and therefore there's no guarantee that this will work on all
>> > implementations.
>>
>> But how do you set up the Path to your home working directory?
>
> When you log in your desktop, by default, the current working directory
> is $HOME. So your desktop has this as current directory, and therefore
> all apps started by your desktop will have this as current directory. So
> you shouldn't need it.

That's good to know, thank you very much.

> (arguably, there will be some edge cases where this is not true, like if
> you restart part of your desktop from a terminal and the current
> directory is not $HOME there, but that's really edge cases)

Speaking to terminal, I also have following error in nautilus which
could not interpret the "Terminal=true", and I don't want to use
xterm, how to resolve that problem?

"(nautilus:3441): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: couldn't find a terminal,
falling back to xterm"

Thank you.

Kind regards.