about <match> value -- file /usr/share/mime/packages/freedesktop.org.xml

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Sat Jan 19 03:35:17 PST 2013

On 18 January 2013 23:51, westlake <westlake2012 at videotron.ca> wrote:

> So if I had these problematic filetypes (.msi/.msu) in ~ , I get no
> long-long long delay..
>
>  ^ I tested it.. thumbnails off. A long list of files.. I then add just
> "one" problematic .msi file and it nearly stalls the listing completely (2+
> minute delay) -- just because of ONE file.

This certainly does sound like a problem. But ultimately, it still sounds
like a problem with the code somewhere. Even in 5 different file managers -
I suspect you may be hitting a corner case that hasn't really been tested
before.

I suggest you pick one of the GUI file managers - the one you use most or
understand best - and describe your problem on its mailing list or bug
tracker. If it's a problem in the code, they can work it out, and you can
take the discussion to the other file managers. If they decide that there's
some problem with the freedesktop stuff, we should get a clearer idea of
precisely what the issue is, and how we can fix it.

Thomas