Is gnome or nautilus fully compliant to freedesktop spec?

Vincent Untz vuntz at gnome.org
Mon Jan 21 07:15:38 PST 2013

Le vendredi 18 janvier 2013, à 15:40 +0000, Jerome Leclanche a écrit :
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Vincent Untz <vuntz at gnome.org> wrote:
>
> > Le vendredi 18 janvier 2013, à 22:48 +1100, jupiter a écrit :
> > > The current issue is that adding an environment variable such as $HOME
> > > in desktop entry file as following example works with KDE file manager
> > > and Thunar when to click a desktop launcher (copy an application menu
> > > icon to the desktop), but does not work with nautilus, the error was
> > > "Failed to change directory $HOME (No such file or directory)"
> > >
> > > Path=$HOME
> >
> > There's no support for environment variables in the desktop entry spec,
> > and therefore there's no guarantee that this will work on all
> > implementations.
> >

> We've hit the same issue at Razor a few times. Assuming we can get GNOME to
> implement envvar support in desktop files, would you be opposed to adding
> it to the spec? I really don't think it's good that currently half of the
> implementations can treat the same PATH differently.

Nope, I wouldn't be opposed to it as long as it's well-defined, that
many people see a use for it and that most desktops are happy with it.
So I guess we need a proper patch and some convincing for some desktops.

There's the question of backwards compatibility, but I guess not a lot
of desktop files are using $.

It might also be worth investigating which desktop environments (and
base libraries, such as glib and qt) support this and which ones don't.

Cheers,

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.