Icon-theme-spec update for scaled icons

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Jul 2 06:51:46 PDT 2013

I've been working on adding support for HiDPI screens. Part of it has
landed in wayland already, some is work-in-progress in Gtk+. Generally
how this work is that on very high resolution monitors we "scale" the UI
so that code works in the old "low dpi" pixels, but we then render it
with a scaling factor.

For icons we can't just scale as that would not look very nice, so
instead we need to supply alternative higher resolution data. Things
kind of work already, like you can pick 96x96 icons when rendering 48x48
icons at scale 2. However, in many cases the larger icons have a lot
more detail that don't really look very well when rendering at the
higher scale. For instance some sort icons have text in them which is
very hard to read, or borders become really thin.

So, attached to the mail is a patch to the icon theme spec that adds a
"Scale" property to the icon directories. With this one could have icons
for size "48" in both scale 1 and 2.